Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Stuffed red peppers

This recipe comes from Paula Deen’s Kitchen Classics. I bought this cookbook at her restaurant when we visited. I have made this recipe before, but wanted to make it again to be on my blog. The first meal I ever made for Jim was stuffed cabbage. He sat down at the table and said, “I used to throw up over this.” I told him better luck next wife. If I was cooking, I was making what I liked. I hadn’t cooked a day in my life before getting married and moving to Michigan State University married housing. I spent the entire day on that dish. I think it was a Better Homes and Garden Cookbook. Recently I discovered in Paula’s cookbook this recipe for stuffed peppers, another favorite of Jim’s. Ha ! Ha! I don’t exactly follow the recipe so I will tell you what Paula says and what I do.


4 large red bell peppers, I buy them in the packages with yellow, red and orange

¾ # ground chuck

½ # ground pork, I substitute ground turkey for both

1 med. onion, fine chop

2 garlic cloves, minced

2 t beef bouillon granules

2t The Lady’s House Seasoning, I use Penzeys Chicago Seasoning

1C cooked rice

½ C jarred Old El Paso Cheese and Salsa

½ C sour cream, I use Greek yoghurt

1 C diced tomato, I use canned drained

½ C green onion tops

1T soy sauce

1C hot water, I used left over chicken stock and eliminated the 2nd t of bouillon granules

Heat the oven to 350 degrees.

Cut the pepper in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and ribs. Sauté the turkey, onion, garlic and 1t of the bouillon, and seasoning until the onion is transparent. If you are using turkey there will be no fat. She says drain the fat. Add the rice, cheese, yogurt, tomatoes, green onion and soy sauce. Mix well and stuff the peppers. Place in a shallow Pyrex pan to just hold. Pour the chicken broth or water and bouillon into the pan around the peppers. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes. Uncover and baste the peppers with the broth and return to the oven for 15 more minutes. Jim ate this with no complaints as opposed to the other standard stuffed peppers. He says no tomato yuck and no green peppers; this is absolutely delicious. We had a 2007 Gnarly Head Old Vine Zinfandel from Lodi.

No comments:

Post a Comment