Saturday, March 6, 2010

Appetizers

Tonight we are going to a party and everyone is bringing something. I decided to do two something’s as this party was originally scheduled for February 6th. I was going to make chicken wings and still have pounds of them in the freezer, even though I did use some for Jim on Super bowl Sunday. But in the mean time I was watching the Barefoot Contessa on FoodTV and wanted to try her Savory Palmiers.


Makes 60 hors d’oeuvres (I only got 30, but her folding instructions were impossible)

1 pkg. puff pastry defrosted

¼ C pesto, mine was purchased

½ C crumbled goat cheese

¼ C finely chopped sundried tomatoes in oil, drained

¼ C toasted pine nuts

½ t. salt, which I forgot, could be why they are tasteless

I find the most successful way to toast nuts is just put them in a small pan on the stove and watch them carefully, which I did.

Next roll out the pastry to be 9 ½” by 11 ½”. Spread with half the pesto, goat cheese, tomatoes, nuts and salt. Press slightly into the pastry. Take the shorter (9 ½”) sides and fold to the middle. Then take these same sides and fold in again to the middle. Then fold one side over the other. I did this wrong which probably leads to the whole downfall of the recipe. These instructions I believe are clearer than the ones she wrote. After doing it wrong, I now understand. Repeat the whole process with the second sheet of pastry and place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Cover the pastry with plastic wrap and chill for an hour.

Cut the pastry in 1/4 “thick slices and place them face up 2” apart on the parchment lined baking sheets. Bake for 14 minutes until golden brown. Could be my awful oven, but mine took20 minutes to get the pastry done and by that time the contents were brown.

These were completely tasteless, could be due to forgetting the salt. There was a lot of pastry in the middle surrounded with the filling and then a little more pastry, my fault. I had trouble getting the center done. Needless to say I am not taking them to the party. Good thing I decided to make two appetizers. I may try them again, with my hind sight in place. If I do, I will let you know. If I had time, I would do it now, but I don’t.

My other appetizer is Hoisin Chicken Wings from a successful blogger Stephanie O’Dea. I have been following her for a couple of years now and have her book called Make it Fast, Cook it Slow. She says to use a 4 qt. slow cooker. I only have one size.

2-3# frozen chicken wings, I had 4 so I added a little more of everything.

½ C prepared hoisin sauce

¼ C honey

4-5 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped

One, 1”Piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated

1T sesame oil.

I partially defrosted the chicken wings and put them in the slow cooker with all the other ingredients. I cooked on high for 5 hours as I did not have enough time to do low for 8 hours. For those of you that like hot wings, these are not for you. You could actually use these as a meal with a salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment