Saturday, March 6, 2010

Breakfast

I know I did not write yesterday; I did not cook either. After my trainer left, Jim announced that it was MGA sign up at our Golf Club. We decided to go and have dinner. It was also my brother’s birthday and I also spent time on the phone talking to my friend Sally who will soon begin radiation and chemo treatment for cancer. Whoever you pray to, ask him to help Sally through this ordeal. That was my day. But today I will be writing twice. The first is about breakfast. I was getting real tired of Jim’s idea of his once a week relief from cereal, bacon and eggs, so I found Grandma Skinner’s Scottish Scones in my Northwest Heritage Cookbook called Dungeness Crabs and Blackberry Cobblers by Janie Hibler. I made scrambled fake eggs with mushrooms and cheese to go with the Scones.


Makes 16 scones

3C all-purpose flour

1 ½ t salt

1 ½ t baking soda

1 ½ t cream of tartar

1t sugar

1T butter

1 ½ C buttermilk

½# smoked skinless salmon fillet, diced.

Sift all the dry ingredients into a bowl. Add the butter and with your hand rub, the butter into the flour making small cornmeal-like granules. Then add the buttermilk and the salmon. Mix together quickly and turn out on a floured surface. Divide the dough into quarters and roll each quarter into a 1/4 inch thick circle. Cut each circle in quarters. (I had flour everywhere)

Heat a lightly greased griddle to medium and fry the scones in batches until they turn a light golden color. If the heat is too high they will burn on the outside and not get done on the inside. Turn them over and cook the other side. Brown the edges by standing the triangles up and leaning against each other for about 30 seconds. This involves a lot of burned finger tips. I had two spatulas out, but it was quite a balancing act. As they finished I cooled them slightly on a tea towel and then wrapped them in a cloth napkin in a basket to serve with the eggs.

1 comment:

  1. Fry the scones? Can't imagine. Used to baking them. Will definitely give this a try.

    ReplyDelete