Thursday, March 4, 2010

Beef and Potato Burrito

Tonight I made beef burritos for the first time. They were very good. The recipe came from Everyday Food. It was messy to eat. It was hard to get all the ingredients in the 4 tortillas.


Serves 4

1 large baking potato, peeled and cut into ½” dice

2T canola oil

¾ # ground beef, I chopped a small beef steak in the Cuisinart

1 onion, chopped

1 jalapeno finely chopped

1 14oz. can of chopped tomatoes with juice

1 ½ t. ground cumin

2t. paprika

1t. salt

4(10”) flour tortillas

¼ C Greek yoghurt (recipe said sour cream)

½ head iceberg lettuce, shredded

¼ C grated Monterey Jack

¼ C cilantro (I used Italian parsley)

1 lime cut in 4 wedges

In a pan, I used a small wok, put the oil and cook the potatoes for 6 minutes over medium high heat stirring for about 6 minutes. Add the beef, onion, and jalapeno and cook stirring for 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and spices and cook for about 6 minutes until the juice has evaporated.

Meanwhile heat a skillet and toast the tortillas one at a time. I laid out wax paper and placed the 4 tortillas after toasting on top. I divided the filling, yoghurt, lettuce, cheese and parsley onto them equally. Squeeze ¼ of the lime on each, fold the bottom up and the sides in.

We had Chinese lager beer, Tsing Tao, with them. I never like beer until I tasted this Chinese beer.  The Burritos were very good and easy to make. This is less than a 30 minute meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment