Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Good weekday meal

This is an Everyday Food recipe that I thought was good, but Jim said it was too messy to serve to company. Some of the soft bones were not extracted by me before serving. Jim has a problem with bones. If he perceives a bone, electric volts shoot from his head like an alarm that hoots danger, danger. He must have liked it as I ate for 1 and the other 3 servings are gone. It is called Apple Braised Turkey Thighs. I encountered a big problem, no thighs in any of our stores. I used turkey legs. They have lots of soft bones, to remove after cooking. With this meal I served mashed potatoes and steamed spinach. The “gravy” is really delicious and good for you, no fat, and no cream.


1T EVOO
2 turkey thighs, about 2#
Salt and pepper
2 large shallots, thinly sliced
4 Cortland or Granny Smith apples, peeled, quarter, and cored
2C apple cider
14.5 oz low sodium chicken broth
2 t cider vinegar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium Dutch oven heat EVOO over medium heat. Season turkey on all sides with salt and pepper and add to pot, skin side down. Or in my case I turned the legs every 2 minutes as they said to brown for 8 minutes. Remove to a plate. They then say to brown the shallots for 5 minutes. Mine would have been burnt to a crisp in 5 min. After 2 minutes I added the apples and sautéed all for 5 more minutes.

I returned the turkey to the pot and added the cider and broth. Bring to a boil and then cover and put in the oven for 1 ½ hours covered. Remove the cover and bake an additional 30 minutes.

Remove the pan from the oven. Take out the turkey and cut the meat off the bone. Add the cider vinegar to the pan. Serve this as gravy to cover the meat and potatoes. I liked the meal, but I have always preferred turkey dark meat. I’d really like to make this with turkey thighs. Jim served a 2007 Concannon Merlot that he aerated into a decanter. It was very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment