Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Pomegranate Molassses

I’ve been feeding Jim out of the freezer with leftovers and will continue tonight. I still sleep enough to compete with a hibernating bear, cough a lot and down drugs to stay upright.  I told the doctor I had to be well by Saturday, I have 12 coming for dinner!  He said I sounded like his office manager also named Linda.  I told him we had discussed our symptoms when I called for the appointment and we were both counting on him.  It's going around he said.  So far except my instructor the only people I know personally who have it are my brother in IN and a friend in Washington State.  I guess that is the qualification for "around." 
I did start today on our Saturday night “Cook me a Rainbow” pot luck group dinner. Our main course will be Grilled Leg of lamb with Pomegranate Molasses. Today I made the Pomegranate Molasses. I have made Pomegranate Molasses before so I can give lots of hints that are not in the recipe.


4C. pomegranate juice

½ C sugar

1T freshly squeezed lemon juice

Place all in a 4Qt. saucepan and set over medium heat stirring until the sugar has completely dissolved. Once the sugar is dissolved reduce heat to medium or a very slow simmer until it is reduced to 1C. The recipe says 70 minutes. Mine takes 2 hours. If you reduce it too fast and it goes over the hard ball setting on a candy thermometer and it will be too hard to use. The thermometer will be close to 285 or hard ball temp when it is done. Transfer to a glass container until ready to use. Remember we want this to be the consistency of molasses.  If you reduce to fast you will have hard candy.  Believe me I've been there.   
I have a lot to do to get ready. Jim is at a conference today, but starting tomorrow night we will be very busy.  I hope I can find flowers for the table that I like since I was not able to order any.  I ordered before getting sick new napkins that have a very spring look to them.  I wanted to get my outdoor wreath redone, but we will see.    

No comments:

Post a Comment