Monday, November 1, 2010

French Lentil Rice Soup

Another slow cooking recipe. I got this one from the Costco flyer that was trying to sell a new kind of slow cooker. If you read the fine print you find it comes from another food blogger, Barb Freda. She says she spends her spare time eating, drinking and traveling. Sounds good to me.  I did not buy a new slow cooker even though I think I need one, but I did make this recipe. We liked it a lot and believe it or not, Jim could only eat 2 servings, but he also had 6 crescent rolls.
Ingredients:
6 C chicken broth or vegetable broth
1 C lentils
2 medium carrots, I would probably at least double the carrots. I did not think there were enough.
1 onion chopped
2 celery stalks, diced
3T uncooked white rice
2 t minced garlic
1t herbes de Provence
½ t salt
1/8 t black pepper
Sour cream and chopped parsley to garnish
I did not really follow the directions. I rough chopped everything and threw it all in the slow cooker for 8 hours on low. I stirred it and all had decomposed into a thick stew. Jim had to add more salt. I added a dollop of low fat sour cream and chopped parsley to each serving.
We served a Costco Chardonnay with the meal from Sonoma. It was very good and only $7.99 in VA.
Strick following of the recipe:
If you really are interested in messing up your blender that I think is totally unnecessary at the end of the cooking time, remove 1 ½ C of soup and process till smooth and add back to the soup. They also call for all the vegetables to be minced. They totally break down in the cooking process.  Just chop and go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment