Monday, November 15, 2010

Butternut Squash and Apple Soup

I believe this is the best soup I have ever made. This recipe came from the Dallas Museum of Art, Gallery Buffet Soup Cookbook. I actually bought the book in the Boston Museum of Art. Serves 8
Ingredients:
A small butternut squash, about 1#, I used the remainder of the squash from the other day. It weighed 2#, but it was the bottom with all the seeds. I cut it in half and scooped out the seeds.
3 tart green apples (this would be granny smiths. I hate granny smiths. I used golden delicious apples.)
1 medium onion
¼ t dried rosemary
¼ t dried marjoram (substitute is oregano)
3 cans of chicken broth
2 cans of water
2 slices white bread (I used 1 slice of hearty wheat as I rarely have white bread)
1 t salt
¼ t pepper
¼ C heavy cream (I used light sour cream)
Chopped parsley
Instructions:
1. Cut the butternut squash in half and scoop out the seeds. After the soup cooks, you lift out the squash and scoop out the interior. Much easier than peeling squash. Peel, core and chop the apples, Chop the onion.
2. In a large pot combine all ingredients except cream and parsley. Bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered for 45 minutes.
3. Remove butternut squash and scoop out the pulp and puree the soup until smooth. I used my immersion blender.
4. Just before serving add the cream. Sprinkle the parsley on each serving.
I served this with mini-pork burgers. If you follow me, this past summer I had a lot of pork that I ground and added different seasonings to from the Webber basket that I won. Out of the freezer it was 2 huge burgers. I turned it into 8 sliders as I had slider buns. Jim grilled them and we just used the mustard we brought from Paris.
It was a good combination. We had a Peltier Station, 2005 Petite Sirah from Lodi. I am still enjoying some as I write.

No comments:

Post a Comment