Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sweet Potato Stew with Red Beans

I did not give this recipe my best attention today. This comes from my trainer who got it from a friend named Carlee. I should have started it sooner and cooked on low instead of high. I think it needed low.
I was distracted by the news that a long time friend is not going to recover and is in hospice. It has been a short time between diagnosis of brain cancer and the end.
I needed some supplies to make Max’s meatballs and as I was not in the mood to go on the planned art tour and out to eat asked Jim to also pick up these ingredients for dinner. As I loaded everything into the Crockpot, I realized that on low we would be eating at 11:00PM. So I switched to high. It makes a lot so I am cooking it some more on low and will report on it again tomorrow. Jim liked it but felt it could use more beans.
Ingredients:
2 10 0z cans diced tomatoes with mild green chile
1 16 oz can of red beans, rinsed and drained
1 14 oz can of vegetable broth
4 C cubed sweet potatoes, about 1 ½ #
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium onion chopped
½ C water
1 garlic clove, minced
1 t grated fresh ginger
½ t salt
½ t ground cumin
¼ t ground pepper
Small pork loin or I used 2 very large boneless pork chops
3 T creamy peanut butter
Directions:
1. Combine the first 12 ingredients in a 5 qt. slow cooker.
2. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
3. Spoon ½ C cooking liquid into a small bowl and add the peanut butter and stir well.
4. If you add the pork loin at the end of the cooking time, shred the pork and stir it back in the stew.
My trainer also added crushed red pepper. However every time I add this to anything Jim complains, too hot.  Jim definitely thought the sauce was very flavorful. I thought the pork was tough and felt if on low, the sweet potatoes would have absorbed much more of the flavor. My pork chops were too lean. I would definitely use a pork loin and cut maybe in quarters depending on the size. According to Carlee the stew had too much meat with the whole one. Donna said she doubled the recipe and used 4 pork chops  I also would finely chop the onion and red pepper in my food processor.  The onion was not finally chopped enough.  Again lack of attention on my part.  .

No comments:

Post a Comment