Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Soup Dinner

When I first moved to CA I meant my friend Marrilyn while walking our dogs. Marrilyn eventually figured out that I liked to cook and one day she asked me what my favorite thing to cook was. I said soup. She said she was very surprised. I feel soup is very complex. There are a million different recipes and variations of a recipe. Jim liked this recipe; I thought it was a little boring. I got this from the Nov. 2010 Penzeys Spices flyer. The photo looked great. I was a little put off by the canned vegetables. I generally do not like anything that comes out of a can. Maybe if you use fresh or frozen corn and green beans it would be better. I also used the cream instead of the additional whole milk. It was too creamy.
Three Sisters Green Chile Potato Soup
Ingredients:
4 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
6 C whole milk
2 C heavy cream, or I would recommend just additional whole milk
1 t salt
8 strips of bacon cut into 1” strips
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1T ground cumin
1 t oregano
1 14.5 oz can sweet corn, drained
2 C cubed zucchini, (I medium zucchini)
3 – 4.5 oz cans of green chilies
1 t ground pepper
1 c pepper jack cheese, optional
To begin, I made a mistake. I only bought one can of chilies. When I pointed this out to Jim, he was relieved that I did not put all the chilies in as he does not like anything remotely hot. I recommend the two more cans. I did not add the cheese as it was so thick and creamy. Use the milk, forget the cream and add the cheese.
Instructions:
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain and return to the pot. Add the milk and salt and heat over medium heat. (Do not boil)
2. In a skillet, cook the bacon and onion until the onions are translucent and tender. Add the garlic, cumin and oregano and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
3. Drain the mixture and then add to the pot along with the corn, zucchini, beans and chilies.
4. Cover and simmer for over med. heat for 15-20 minutes.
5. Taste and add more pepper and salt. Mine probably needed more S& P as I did not have enough peppers.
Serving size says 12-14. I’d say as a first course. Serves 6, as a full meal.
Jim served a Viognier, 2008 Vina Robles. It was much better than the soup. But again the soup was probably better if you read the directions carefully and follow them.

No comments:

Post a Comment