Thursday, November 11, 2010

Lemon Pasta with Roasted Shrimp

I often screw up and today was one of those days. I was going to start this dish yesterday and Jim wanted to go out to dinner as he had a birthday coupon about to expire at his favorite restaurant. So we went out to dinner on a Wednesday night. We had a great time and a great dinner. This AM as soon as I could arise I took the chicken out of the freezer for the Crockpot dinner. My trainer came and then I rested and drank water. Next I started the preparation. When I got through the chopping and preps and turned it on, dinner was going to be really late. However, I was oblivious and just pushed the button. About the time I was feeding Max, (5:30PM)I realized looking at the timer on the Crockpot that dinner would be ready about 11:30 PM.
So phase 2.
I thought of all the things in the freezer and the easiest would have been salmon or lamb chops. Jim had lamb chops last night and I was not in the mood for just plain salmon or catfish. I knew I had frozen shrimp so I thought Scampi. I opened up my book of unused recipes and out fell Lemon Pasta with Roasted Shrimp by the Barefoot Contessa, Ina Garten. Perfect, I divided this recipe in half. It serves 6.
Ingredients:
2# (17-21 count) shrimp peeled and deveined. My shrimp were the right size and did not need peeling. They had tails that I left on.
Good EVVOO
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1# angel hair pasta ( I used Ink squid pasta)
4 T unsalted butter, melted
2 lemons, zested and juiced
Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place the shrimp on a sheet pan with 1T EVOO, ½ t salt and ½ t pepper. Toss well, spread them in 1 layer and roast for 6-8 minutes, just until they’re pink and cooked through.
3. Heat a large pot of boiling salted water, add the pasta and cook until al dente according to package directions. I actually started the oven and the water at the same time.
4. Drain the pasta, Quickly add to the pasta, the melted butter, ¼ C EVOO, lemon zest, lemon juice, 2 t salt, 1 t pepper and ½ cup of the reserved cooking liquid. Add the shrimp and serve hot.
I served this with a salad. Jim loved this meal. He actually said, "Please serve this again." I believe that the ink squid pasta made it better. I really enjoyed it.

I am looking at the Crockpot and realize that it is enough to serve an army.

No comments:

Post a Comment