Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day Picnic, Improvised

Happy Memorial Day! Today someone wanted to look at our house around lunch hour. So Jim thought we should go out to lunch. While eating lunch he asked, “What’s for dinner?” I said I was making a lentil salad. I was then informed that today is a holiday that you need to grille hamburgers or hot dogs or both. In other words, picnic required. Imagine living 63 years and not having a clue about that. So when we got home I searched the pantries and recipe files and came up with the following that satisfied Jim’s need for a picnic. It was very hot and humid here today so we ate outside around 7:30 PM.
The potato salad came from Martha, but I embellished it.
2# white new potatoes, quartered and cut into ¾” chunks
Salt and pepper
¾ C reduced-fat sour cream (I used Greek Yoghurt)
¼ C mayonnaise
½ C thinly sliced scallions
4 bacon slices cooked and crumbled
To this I added:
Chopped dill, parsley, and basil
3 hard boiled eggs sliced
Directions are simple, boil the potatoes and eggs. I peeled the potatoes and shelled the eggs. Mixed all together and put in the refrigerator.
Jim cooked Nathan’s hot dogs on the grille.
I had ½ a head of Napa cabbage in the ref. I mixed up drePenzeys Green Goddess Dressing base for the shredded cabbage. It was not good. It needed lots of salt and pepper.
Jim added a bag of chips and had a very happy picnic. He served a Barnwood Santa Barbara County Petite Sirah. It was excellent but kind of overwhelmed the hot dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment