Monday, May 24, 2010

Sunday Dinner

We had a wonderful Sunday dinner. The menu consisted of Roast Chicken, an asparagus, pea and radish dish, Scalloped Tomatoes and Lime Tart with Blackberries and Blueberries. I used my Advantium (Speed cook) oven to roast the chicken and it came out fully done, almost a first. It took 40 minutes to cook a 3.5# chicken. I saw this done on Martha on Friday. I stuffed the chicken with lemon, a whole garlic and tarragon. The Scalloped tomatoes came from Ina Garten.
EVOO
2C (1/2 inch diced bread) from a French boule, crusts removed.
16 plum tomatoes or about 2 ½#, cut in ½ “dice
1T minced garlic (3 cloves)
2T sugar
2t kosher salt
1t ground black pepper
½ C julienned basil leaves
1C freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Heat 3T EVOO in a 12” sauté pan over medium heat. Add the bread cubes and stir to coat with the oil. Cook over heat, adjusting as needed, to get evenly browned but not burned bread cubes. This was about 5 minutes.
I cut the cubes but did not start the cooking until I had combined the chopped tomatoes, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper in a bowl. When the bread was done, I added the tomato mixture and cooked for 5 more minutes. Off the heat stir in the basil. Pour the mixture into a shallow 6C baking dish. I used a Pyrex dish that is 7x10. Sprinkle the top evenly with the cheese and drizzle with 2T EVOO. Bake 35-40 minutes. Jim prefers non-cooked tomatoes so he was less enthusiastic about it. I liked it a lot and thought it went wonderfully with the chicken.
Green Veggie Dish, serves 8 (MarthaStewart.com)
I cut this in half for the 2 of us and Max will have some with his dinner tonight.
Salt and pepper
3# asparagus, tough ends discarded, cut into 2” pieces
3T butter
1-10 oz. package frozen peas, thawed
1# radishes, greens discarded, halved and thinly sliced
1/3C fresh tarragon coarsely chopped
I admit that I microwaved the asparagus instead of pot of water on the stove. I did put it in and ice bath and dried on paper towels. Again in the 12” skillet with a lid, heat the butter and add the asparagus and peas. Cover and cook stirring occasionally for about 6 minutes. Martha said to remove from the heat and add the radishes and tarragon. I warmed it a little buy leaving the lid on, but heat off on the stove. Salt and pepper to taste. Again I really liked the dish and thought the radishes added some heat to the peas and asparagus. As it was a veggie, Jim grunted.
But the Tart won the prize for taste and good looks. Don’t plan on making this at the last minute. This is in the new Bon Appetite, June, 2010. I did not make the crust. I think that Pillsbury refrigerated pie dough is as good as it comes. It easily fits in a 9” tart pan with a removable bottom, allowing you to double the sides for strength.
The lime curd was easy but needs refrigeration for 4 hours or overnight. I made mine earlier in the day.
3 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
1C sugar
¾ C fresh lime juice
6T unsalted butter cut into pieces
Set a fine strainer over a bowl and set aside. I used my double boiler and in the top placed the eggs, sugar and lime juice. This I whisked over the hot water for about 6 minutes when my instant read thermometer said 178 degrees. Pour through the strainer into the bowl and add the butter again whisking until smooth. Press plastic wrap directly on the surface of the curd covering completely. Refrigerate, you can do this the day before.
Chill the crust before baking for about an hour. Bake at 350degrees for about 30 minutes. I priced the bottom of the crust but did not press it down with anything, not needed. Again cool the crust completely before pouring in the lime curd.
For the berries you need 2- 6 oz containers of black berries and 1-6 oz container of blueberries. Place the blackberries in 2 concentric circles just inside the tart edge. Let the lime curd show. Place the blueberries in the middle.
For the topping place a T of blackberry jam (I used blueberry) in a small bowl and microwave for 15 seconds. Whisk is loosen and add a little water if needed. Spread over the berries. Chill until serving. The recipe said serves 8-10, I’d say more like 6-8. I sliced ½ in 4 quarters and Jim ate 3 pieces. I guess he prefers pie to vegetables.
Jim selected a 1997 Chateau Souveraine, Merlot from the Alexander Valley. He gave this a very good rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment