Thursday, May 20, 2010

Doctored Mac 'N' Cheese from a box

After a few disasters in the last weeks, I am proud to announce that I can make a decent Mac & Cheese out of the box. I picked up a Whole Living Magazine while in TX and was drawn to an article that was called Mac ‘N’ Cheese Makeover as it featured Annie’s. One time Jim went to Costco and they were out of his Kraft Mac & Cheese. This is his go to meal if I am not home or too ill to cook. So we have this huge box of Annie’s and he made it and really dislikde it. If I was semi alive when Jim was using his Kraft I would doctor it with peas, mushroom soup, and more real cheddar. None of this helped Annie’s.
So here is Whole Living’s answer to making it eatable.
Sauté sliced mushrooms in olive oil.
Prepare the cheese sauce according to the directions, but add a t. of whole grain mustard. Toss with the pasta that you have cooked according to pkg. directions. Add the mushrooms and chopped parsley and I have to admit that I added more real cheddar cheese.
First time I ever thought this was eatable. There is a second recipe that I will share with you next week on my school night.
On the way home I stopped at Trader Jo’s to pick up some interesting things I saw in their flyer that included Santa Barbara Landing Chardonnay for $3.25 per bottle. It is excellent and next week I will stop and buy a case.  We taste tested it against a bottle of Chardonnay that is $15 per bottle that I had at Wegman's.  This is better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment