Friday, May 14, 2010

Turkey and Pancetta Meatballs with Pasta and Pesto

OK, last night we went out to dinner on a weeknight. I can’t believe how many people go out to dinner on a weeknight. We went to our local Bonefish Grille. We had a great dinner and it was a special we received in the mail. One appetizer to share, salads, and main course from a limited menu (two for one price) and shared dessert, that Jim ate all by himself. It was very good I enjoyed the night off.
Today we had turkey and pancetta meatballs from Martha. It was to be served with a mint pesto and fava beans. Unfortunately fresh fava beans are a rarity in VA. So I used Edamame. I also did not make the mint pesto as Jim did not think he would like it I will print the recipe anyway, but we used regular store bought basil pesto and really liked the meal.
Meatballs
1# ground turkey, 7% fat
1 oz thinly slice pancetta, finely chopped (1/4 C)
½ onion, finely chopped, (3/4C)
1 garlic clove, minced
¾ C fresh fine bread crumbs, notice it says fine, so do not use panko
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1 lg. whole egg plus 1 lg. egg yolk.
1T finely chopped fresh sage, I used 1t dried
1 t finely grated lemon zest
Olive oil for frying
Pasta
120z whole wheat angel hair pasta (I used 8 oz)
1C shelled fresh fava beans (I used edamame)
This is for the mint pesto, but I used basil pasta
½ C roasted almonds
1 clove garlic
½ C pecorino cheese
1/4C plus 3 T EVOO for topping
2 ½ C loosely packed fresh mint leaves
Place all in the food processor and blend
For Meatballs
Place all ingredients in a bowl with 1t salt and pepper. I use medical surgical gloves to mix any meatball or other ground meat mixture. I then used my one inch ice cream scoop to form 40 meat balls.
I put on the salted water for the pasta.
Use a skillet and I cooked the meatballs in 3 batches, keeping them warm in a warming drawer or low (200) oven. Add a little olive oil to the skillet which is on high with each batch.  After you add the meatballs, turn down and cook for 7 minutes turning frequently. If too high they will burn. I added a little oil between batches so they would brown.
I cooked the pasta for a total of 5 minutes and add the edamame for the last 3. I put the pasta drained in a large bowl and mixed with the pesto and added the meatballs on top to serve. This was a very filling meal. Even Jim could not finish it. Although he did have pate and cheese appetizer before dinner. 
He served an Altano Reserva Douro, 2006 from Portugal. It was perfect with the pasta as the meatballs were strongly flavored.
I recommend this meal and if you really like mint in your food try the mint pesto. 

No comments:

Post a Comment