Saturday, May 8, 2010

Chili Relleno Breakfast Bake

Today I am doing breakfast again. This recipe came in the new Penzeys catalog. It says serves 12 and it means it. If anyone wants to come for breakfast in the next month I have plenty of leftovers. It is also 300 calories per slice, so only eat one unless you are Jim who ate 3.
½ stick of butter melted
2- 7oz. cans diced green chilies, drained
½ # chorizo sausage, chopped and browned
1 8oz. pkg. shredded cheddar cheese
1 8 oz. pkg. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
4 eggs
2C milk
1 C Biscuit Mix, Jiffy or Bisquick
1t. Chili Powder
½ t. ground pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Poor the butter in a 9 x 13 glass baking dish. Coat the bottom and sides. Layer the chilies over the butter and top with the browned sausage, and the two cheeses. Mix the milk eggs, chili powder, pepper and Biscuit mix in a bowl and pour over the contents of the baking dish. Bake for 40 minutes until the top is golden. This molten mixture needs to cool for about 10 minutes before cutting. Penzeys served this with hash browns and fruit. I skipped the hash browns.
Jim liked it. I’m not so sure I am wild about chorizo sausage. I think I might try it again with the sausage from TN or turkey polish sausage.

No comments:

Post a Comment