Saturday, May 29, 2010

Breakfast Thursday

At the same time I am making dinner and the antipasti platter I am making breakfast for Thursday AM. They will be off playing golf all day, but I have class so need to do a plan ahead breakfast. I got this recipe a long time ago from my friend Diane in NC. There is no hint as to what magazine it was copied from.
As Jim heads off for the airport he hollars in for me to water the hanging plant out front.  There is a quote from Ginger Rogers that serves well for my thoughts at this moment. 

Hearty French toast, Serves 12
24 slices day-old French bread cut in 3/4 “slices
12 thin slices fully cooked ham
12 thin slices cooked turkey
2 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
12 thin slices provolone cheese
4 eggs
1C milk
¼ t ground nutmeg.
I bought a baguette and cut in 24 slices. This did not fill the 9x12 baking dish suggested so I used a smaller pan and less of everything above as I was only feeding 4. If I was making it for 12, I would buy a good quality but larger diameter bread.
Spray the pan and lay in ½ the bread slices. Top with layer of ham, turkey, apple, cheese and the remaining bread in that order. Mix the eggs, milk and nutmeg and pour over all. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Apple Cranberry Sauce
1 1/2C cranberry juice
2T cornstarch
1T brown sugar
1t grated orange peel
1/8t ground cinnamon
1med apple, peeled and finely chopped
This can also be prepared the night before.
In a saucepan combine the first five ingredients, cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Stir in the apples and cook a couple minutes more. I placed in a covered container and warmed it up while the French toast was cooking.
The next morning, Jim got up and removed the toast mixture from the refrigerator to set for 30 minutes before baking. Heat the oven to 350 degrees and bake for 30 minutes. Let it set for 10 minutes before cutting.
Jim and I both thought the Sauce was too tart and strong. We liked the French toast and it held us all day. We thought we’d try it next time with maple syrup.
Bud (or Phil as he now likes to be called) and Jim will be fed breakfast, lunch and dinner for the next few days.  Mary and I will be eating out. Saturday night we are invited to the awards ceremony and dinner. The reports we have received each evening seem doubtful that the guys will be bringing home a trophy but they have enjoyed the meals, Scotch tastings and cigars.  The golf comes with an array of excuses and explaniations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment