Sunday, May 9, 2010

Skirt Steak with Brusssels Sprouts

Happy Mother’s Day! Max did not get me anything.  All the special things I do for him and he couldn't even get me a card!
Last night we went to a Lebanese restaurant called Nora with our friends. We did not like the food, but the belly dancer was great. Today we played golf and of course, my back went out. My friend Linda had these heat packs for hands in her golf bag. Saved me, I got in 9 over 18 holes, along with 8 Alive. Dinner tonight was simple. It came from Everyday Food. The Brussels sprouts were wonderful. I have never had skirt steak before and did not realize that the pieces I bought were doubled over. I put Penzeys Chicago seasoning on the steak and sent Jim out to grill it. He discovered this when he went to turn them over. They seemed like something more for a sandwich. I probably will not buy them again. But the Sprouts were great.
Steak
1 ½# skirt steak, I sprinkled it with Chicago seasoning from Penzeys, grilled 5 minutes per side
Sprouts
1# Brussels sprouts, shredded, use the slicing blade of your food processor.
2T butter
Salt and pepper
2t fresh lemon juice
¼ C almonds, toasted
Jim put the steaks on the grille. I had already toasted the almonds and squeezed the lemon. When the steaks were half done, 3 minutes, I re-warmed the butter and added the shredded sprouts to the skillet. I cooked them for 5 minutes and then mixed in the almonds and lemon juice.
My back was so sore; this was a good meal to have tonight.
Jim served a wine that we had bought from an underground wine merchant in Chateauneuf du Pape.  He said tonight that at the time he was not sure it would be good.  It was a 2000 vintage and it was really good.
Again, Happy Mother's Day.   

No comments:

Post a Comment