Monday, May 24, 2010

Monday Dinner and Shopping

Today I went shopping for the first time in about 3 years for summer clothes. Did a good job and have items to look decent in around the house. Unfortunately while fixing dinner I got 3 spots on my new pants and another spot on the top while eating. Jim says I should only wear new clothes while sitting quietly in the living room.
The new course was Apricot Shrimp Skewers. Serves 4
2t Asian toasted sesame oil
1t each minced garlic and ginger
¼ C apricot jam
½ C fresh OJ
2T fresh lemon juice
2 T reduced sodium soy sauce
12 paper-thin slices prosciutto (6 oz) cut in half lengthwise
6 apricots, quartered
1/3 C sliced green onions
I had these wonderful curly topped bamboo skewers that I found in TX. I used 12 and placed them in a loaf pan to soak. While this was going on I made the sauce by putting the oil in a small pan and adding the minced ginger and garlic. They say cook until fragrant. It is obvious. Next add the juices, soy sauce, and the jam. I had pre-squeezed the juices and added the soy sauce to the container. Cook to a simmer. Retain ½ C to brush on the shrimp while grilling. Divide the rest for dipping. Wrap the shrimp in half length wise slices of prosciutto. Place on each skewer two shrimp and 2 apricot quarters. These were grilled by Jim and basted with 1/2C of the sauce for about 7 minutes. When the shrimp came in I sprinkled the platter with the onion. None of the skewers burned alive. The dish is delicious.
I served this with grilled asparagus that I had mixed with orange olive oil, salt and pepper. They took about 12 minutes as they were thick and leftover tomato bread pudding.
Delightful light meal. We had a Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc with the meal.  Perfect combination, finished it while watching the finals of Dancing with the Stars.  Tonight I did not agree with the judges.  We will see tomorrow.
Carolyn and I had lunch at Wildfire in Tyson Corners.  It is a great place.      

No comments:

Post a Comment