Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Spicy Italian Chili

Tonight Jim wanted Chili. In the January wine shipment from Viansa came a recipe for Spicy Italian Chili. It was very good. It said serves 6, even with Jim’s appetite; I would say 8-10. I have half the leftovers in the freezer and will probably serve the other half on Super Ball Sunday. I served it with saltines. We drank the remaining wine with dinner.
Ingredients:
1/3 C EVOO
2 Red bell peppers
3 large yellow or white onions, I prefer the white
12 cloves of garlic minced
2# spicy Italian sausage, peeled and broken into large pieces
2 (28 oz can) Italian whole tomatoes, including liquid
1 6 oz can of tomato paste
4 cans (15 oz each) red kidney beans, drained
2 C hearty red Italian wine (Viansa Farneta Carneros Primitivo) Wonderful.
3 T dried Italian seasoning
2 t salt
½ t ground black pepper
2 dashes of Tabasco sauce
1 ½ C freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions:
1. I heated the EVOO in a large pot.
2. I chopped the peppers, onions, and garlic in my food processor. I added this to the oil and cooked for about 10 minutes. I cooked the sausage for about 10 minutes in a separate skillet and added it to the vegetables without the oil. I then opened and added the tomatoes, kidney beans, wine, and spices.
3. Stir frequently and simmer this mixture for 2 hours.
4. Serve hot with Parmesan cheese and saltine crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment