Monday, February 7, 2011

Lobster Ravioli and Bok Choy

Dinner tonight combined east and west was possibly unusual, but good. Back in 1996, I bought a cookbook called The Taste of China. There was one recipe that stood out and I have made it several times. It is called Stir-Fried Bok Choy. This and other recipes that I have tried from this book I thought were too oily until I went to China. This cookbook is dead on as to what you get in China.
Ingredients:
1# bok choy (I actually had very baby Bok choy so did not do the chopping that I called for)
1 T peanut oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
½ t salt
1T water
Directions:
1. Prepare the bok choy by removing the stalks with leaves from the stem. If the stalks are wide, split them in half. Cut the stalks with leaves into 3” pieces. Peel the stem and cut it thinly at a slight angle. Wash the bok choy in several changes of cold water. Drain and set aside. (Mine were really young, so I did not do any of the above except the washing. However in the past, I have done this with regular bok choy.)
2. Heat a wok or large skillet until it is hot. If you have a surface temperature reader, heat to 425 degrees F. Add the oil and garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the salt and bok choy and stir-fry for 1 minute over high heat. Continue stir frying for 4 minutes. Add water if it seems dry.
3. Turn out onto a serving dish and serve at once.
This may seem strange, but we also had Lobster Ravioli. I bought it at Costco. I mixed Béarnaise Butter with ½ container of crème fraiche and poured it over the ravioli. It was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment