Monday, February 28, 2011

Mango and Black Bean Salad with Shrimp

We are still eating out of our freezer.  Tonight’s meal was spectacular and we also eliminated some items from the pantry and the refrigerator as well. This is also from the Cooking light Mix and Match Cookbook. It is listed as a lunch, but we had it for dinner and really enjoyed it. I didn’t follow directions to a t, but will explain what I did that did not comply. The recipe says that adding 1/3 C of cooked shrimp to the recipe adds 85 calories. I thought it was unclear whether it was 1/3 C per serving or over all since the calories are listed per serving. If you follow the recipe exactly it is to be 334 calories per serving.
Ingredients:
1 ½ C chopped peeled ripe mangos. (I used frozen)
1 C thinly sliced green onions
3 T finely chopped fresh cilantro
½ C cooked wild or brown rice. I put ½ C red rice and one cup of water in a pot, soaked it and cooked it. I added the whole amount.
2 T fresh salsa, (I added some leftover chutney and a very hot veggie salsa that I had made.)
2T fresh lime juice
2 T EVOO
½ t salt
¼ t pepper
1 15 oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
½ C precooked shrimp (I used ½# frozen shrimp thawed)
Directions:
1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Toss gently to mix.
2. Yield is 3 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment