Saturday, February 12, 2011

Awesome Grits

You probably wonder where I have been. I last blogged about the mac n’ cheese soup, I planned to have the boneless pork chops and grits on Wednesday, but instead went to PF Chang’s. I was terribly disappointed that they have taken the peanut noodles off the menu, but otherwise good. We had leftover soup on Thursday as I had class and then had to stop at Costco to pick up some items that we needed for Sat. So finally Friday night I cooked. We had the pork chops with Marion’s dry rub on them again. See I do make things twice. I served it with salad and Anson Mills yellow grits. You have never had grits until you have had them from Anson Mills. You have to order them from most areas of the country. Go to www.ansonmills.com . I order white and yellow. For some reason I like white for breakfast and yellow for dinner. The directions had you soak overnight and it was a cooking method that rivaled Arborio rice. But recently they introduced a slow cooker method and it worked beautifully.
Ingredients:
1 C (6 ounces) Anson Mills Antebellum Course Grits
3 C water
Fine sea salt
2-3 T unsalted butter
½ t freshly ground black pepper
Directions:
1. Place the grits in the slow cooker and cover with 3 cups of water. Stir once. Allow the grits to settle a full minute, tilt the vessel, and skim off and discard the chaff and hulls with a fine tea strainer.
2. Cover, stirring one or twice, until the grits are creamy and tender, but not mushy. Set the timer on high for about 2 hours.
3. Stir in 1 t of salt and the butter. Sprinkle with pepper.
I put them under the pork chops. Awesome meal.  Jim served a Pinot Noir called Roots, 2006 from Oregon.  It was very good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment