Monday, January 31, 2011

Broccoli Rabe Pizza

I got the idea from Sunset magazine, January. I will list the ingredients and then after each will tell you what I changed. The original said serves 4-6, I doubt it. This was to be a skillet pizza. I did it totally in the oven. Jim really liked this pizza. I loved it, but I am a white pizza person.
Ingredients:
2 T EVOO, divided
1 ball (1#) whole-wheat pizza dough ( I bought the pizza dough from Wegmans, it was 1# 12 oz.)
4 oz broccoli rabe also called Rappen (You cannot buy 4oz, it was about a #. I went with it.)
Diced yellow pepper
½ t kosher salt and red chile flakes
1/1/2 C shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
Parmesan cheese, as needed
Directions: (The way I made it)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place a pizza stone in the oven. Spray an 18” pizza pan with holes in the bottom with Pam. Spread the pizza dough on the pan. 1# covers 13”. 1# 12 oz. was generous on the 18” pan. Spread half the mozzarella on the dough.
2. Put half the EVOO in a hot skillet. Add the diced yellow pepper and broccoli rabe. Cook all the vegetables with the salt and red pepper flakes until the vegetables are soften and lightly brown.
3. Spread all the vegetables evenly over the pizza dough and cheese.
4. Top with the remaining mozzarella and cover the non-white spots with Parmesan cheese.
5. Place in the oven for 20 minutes. Take it out and let rest and then cut into wedges.
This was a great pizza. No, tomato yuck as Jim calls it. I think for years that I have been confusing broccoli rabe (Rappen) with Broccolini. This Rappen was wonderful.
We had a Montebuena Rioja with the pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment