Friday, February 18, 2011

Tuna Noodle Casserole

This recipe also came from the Cooking Light Mix and Match Cookbook. The deal with the cookbook is 1500 calories a day, 3 meals and 2 snacks. Quite frankly I do not have enough time to eat that many meals. This casserole reminded me of grade school and we are trying to empty our freezers and pantry as too much food has built up. I had a lot of tuna and was disappointed to learn that my cans were 7 ½ oz. They looked like normal tuna cans, but I had one of the packets and combined with that I came to 9.5 oz. As far as tuna canned tuna is concerned, less is more.
Ingredients:
8 oz wide egg noodles
2T EVOO
½ C yellow onion
1/3 C chopped carrot (Don’t you love recipes like this, cut a small onion and chop up a carrot.)
2 T AP flour
2 ¾ C fat free milk
4 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened. (I had reduced fat Borsin cheese.)
2 T Dijon mustard
½ t salt
½ t pepper
1 C frozen peas, thawed
½ C grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
10 oz of caned albacore tuna in water, drained and flaked
Cooking spray
Directions:
1. Preheat broiler.
2. Cook noodles according to package direction, omitting salt and fat. I did not omit salt as when you cook noodles this is your only chance to get flavor in. Drain.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and carrot; cook 6 minutes or until carrot is almost tender, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in milk; cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk until slightly thick. Stir in cream cheese, mustard, salt, pepper and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly until thickened.
4. Stir in the noodles, peas, half the P-R cheese and tuna. I used the same pan, but if you need to change to a shallow 2QT. broiler safe baking dish coated with cooking spray.
5. Top with the remaining P-R cheese and broil for 3 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes.
6. A 475 calorie serving is 1 ½ C. This is more than enough for most people.
"We" had as an appetizer, while I was cooking, Costco Guacamole. I had cut up a red pepper for dipping, but Jim had traditional chips. Jim pronounced the casserole very good, and I would have to say it sure did not taste like a diet meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment