Sunday, February 6, 2011

Super Bowl Dinner for 2

It is Super Bowl night and Jim wanted steak. I had a leftover tornado wrapped with bacon form Omaha Steaks. I bought Jim a strip steak, his favorite. He cooked them on the grille. I sprinkled them with Chicago Seasoning from Penzeys, our favorite for steak. I have been reading a great book of letters between Julia Child and Avis DeVoto.  I also learned from Cuisine magazine that when you reach the bottom of your mustard jar, make it into vinaigrette. Avis mentioned in the book that she put vinaigrette on cauliflower and everyone loved it. So I had leftover Brussels sprouts and squash. I mixed up some vinaigrette in a jar of mustard from France that was at its ends and put it on the sprouts and squash before baking at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, turning it every 10 minutes.  Jim really loved the veggies this way. We also had a salad of arugula, blueberries, orange sections and half an apple chopped. I dressed it with Newman’s light raspberry vinaigrette. It was delightful. Later I am going to try to talk Jim into ice-cream with that wonderful raspberry, wine and chocolate sauce that my brother sent me for Christmas. Our wine tonight was from Viansa. It was according to Jim a Barbara grape.
Do any of you use Skype? I love it. My brother takes his computer to Brentwood and I try to talk to my mother. Today was a bad day. But bad or good, I get to see her and talk. All and all a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment