Monday, February 21, 2011

Chicken Breasts with Mushroom Sauce

This week we are approaching the development of meals differently than I usually do. We have 2 refrigerators with freezers and they are stuffed. So this morning I inventoried both freezers and quite frankly relieved us of some things that I could not determine according to George Carlin, “Is it meat or is it cake?” I then proceeded to make up recipes that would use up the contents. I had a problem today so Jim went to the store for me and I guarantee that the 2 bags of fresh ingredients that he returned with will probably do us for 9 days. After I empty the freezers, I will attack the pantry. To give an example, I found that between the 2 freezers, I have ever type of almond in existence, in quantity.
I turned first to the new Mix and Match Cooking Light. This again was a very good meal. It serves 6, but I cut it to 4, and is listed as 452 calories. It is heavy on chicken. How many calories can mushrooms have? If you make it add more mushrooms. I served peas and frozen small white onions as an accompaniment.
Ingredients:
6 (6oz)skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
3 T butter, divided
½ t salt
¼ t freshly ground black pepper (I used more)
4 oz. morel mushrooms (I hydrated from dried)
4 oz button mushrooms, thinly sliced (I bought sliced and feel you could use double and not significantly add to the calories.)
2 C fat-free, lower sodium chicken broth
¼ C heavy cream
4 ½ C hot cooked egg noodles
Parsley for garnish
Directions:
1. Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; flatten to ¼” thickness using a meat mallet. ( I did not do this as I had chicken breasts from Costco by Purdue and I think they remove the tender and they are already thin.)
2. Heat 2 t butter in a skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with S&P. Do not crowd the pan, but fry in batches about 3 minutes per side. Place in a dish and after all are cooked cut in strips. Keep warm.
3. Melt the remaining 1T of butter in the pan over medium heat and cook the mushrooms for about 5 minutes. Add the broth to the pan. (As my morels were dried, I soaked them in 2C hot water. I added concentrated chicken stock to the mushroom stock and heated it in the microwave and added this to the pan.)
4. After it reduced by half I added the cream. I did not remove the mushrooms. I then added back the chicken strips and turned the heat to low, stirring all together.
5. Meanwhile I cooked the egg noodles according to pkg. directions about 8 minutes.
6. I served it in one pasta dish. First the noodles and then the sauce, chicken and mushrooms evenly distributed. Topped with chopped parsley.
Mine was easy to divide as I had reduced to 4. Otherwise you are to serve separately. Whatever is easiest for you. Per their suggestion and remember we are emptying the freezer, I cooked up a leftover bag of small white onions in butter and then added peas, salt and pepper. They were delicious and probably more than the 88 calorie addition suggested by the cookbook. So far, so good with this book. I am about to recommend it at the end of this week. Stay tuned for more pantry deletions tomorrow.  Jim served a white wine, but not a good one as it was a "diet" recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment