Sunday, August 1, 2010

Wheaty 'Bran Muffin' Waffles

Weeks ago this recipe appeared in the Washington Post. I’ve been saving it for a more pleasant temperature. We had Brunch on the porch, reading the Sunday paper. It was a delightful way to spend the morning.  We had ocasional intruptions to throw the ball and one attempt to eat Jim's tomatoes, but when breakfast appeared Max was all drool.  It is described as a “bran waffle.” They were very good and very filling. The recipe says it makes 4 large Belgian waffles. My waffle maker is rectangular and makes 2 squares at a time. It made 5 large Rectangles or 10 squares. They said to serve with maple syrup and toasted walnuts or jam and ricotta cheese. We went the syrup route, but I thought while eating them that just cheese would have been great.
Ingredients:
1 ½ C all-purpose flour
½ C unbleached whole-wheat flour
1/3 C wheat bran, not bran cereal (recommended Shiloh Farms Organic unprocessed coarse bran called miller’s bran) I used Organic Buckwheat flour.
1 ¼ t baking powder
½ t baking soda
1/8 t salt
5 T light brown sugar, packed
7 T unsalted butter, melted
1 ½ C buttermilk
2 T molasses
3 large eggs
1 ½ t vanilla extract
Steps:
Mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl. Whisk all the wet ingredients in another bowl. Combine and cook in your Belgium waffle maker. They recommend 1-1 ½ minutes per waffle. Mine has a light on top that turns green when the waffles are done. I had a plate in my warming drawer and transferred each one as they were done. I also served them with bacon, but I think Adel sausages would have been better. Next time.
By the way you can freeze the leftover waffles for future breakfasts or I put them in the refrigerator to toast like an EGGO for the next few days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment