Monday, August 30, 2010

Restaurant Reviews for VA

Jim says I may need to change my name to Linda’s Recipe Collection and Restaurant Review. We were away this weekend also in southern Virginia, this time,  playing golf at courses associated with our Club. As our Club is a corporation, we play these courses for “free”, just like we do at home. I say “free” as that means minus the initiation fee and the monthly dues. However, there are clubs were you pay the same and don’t have privileges at other courses around the world. We started out Friday dropping off Max at the kennel and driving to The Club at Viniterra near Richmond. How someone figured out to make a golf course on this terrain was amazing to me. After golf we visited the winery across the street. Fabulous building; wines were OK. We then drove down to the Norfolk area. Our friends who had been there many times said they have been very disappointed with restaurants in the area. I went to opentable.com and found Vintage Tavern in Suffolk. The restaurant is very nice looking and the food is all locally grown and delicious. No one was disappointed in the food or the wine list.
The next day we played the Greenbrier Golf Club in Chesapeake, VA, not the famous Greenbrier in West Virginia. They have a lovely club with all amenities. That night we went to the Towne Pointe Club in Norfolk. Our corporation also owns eating clubs. We can eat for free once a month at these clubs, beyond a 50 mile radius of our home club. We have enjoyed them in many states. Everyone enjoyed their meal but me. I ordered coconut shrimp. There is no one that makes coconut shrimp better than The Tavern in Manayunk, PA, I am not sure if it is still there. If it is, order their coconut shrimp. My appetizer was divine. The salad course I chose was the tomato mozzarella stack. They should only offer this with great tomatoes. These were not. The wines were very good and the sommelier very knowledgeable.
The next day we played Stonehenge in the Richmond area on the way home. I drove the cart; way too much golf for me. On the way home we stopped in Warrenton and had dinner at our favorite restaurant called The Iron Bridge Winery. I love it as they have small dishes and dinners. I had gazpacho and a small mushroom pizza. Jim had mussels and scallops. We had champagne for free and dessert because it was our anniversary month. Another great weekend, but I have no recipes to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment