Thursday, August 5, 2010

Sea Scallops with Zucchini Ribbons and Mint-Chive Oil

Dinner almost did not happen tonight. We had been warned that a big storm was going to be coming through tonight. We had one more stop while shopping when we saw the very dark clouds and lighting. I was afraid of hail so we drove home. Max was already in the basement bathroom wrapped around the toilet, his safe haven in a storm. I would not call it a big storm, but we got a lot of much needed rain. Unfortunately at about 3:30 PM the power went out. So we read and were hoping the power would come back on. Finally at 6:30 PM I made Max’s dinner. Jim went to get him to eat, very unusual as he demands dinner at 5:30 on the dot. I said we have left over noodles from last night and we could slice some of the great tomatoes we bought at the farm stand today for dinner. Jim said let me walk Max and then let’s go out. We had established through friends that the electricity was on in developments to the left and right of us so there were restaurants open. Jim walked out the front door with Max and all of a sudden all the appliances started talking to me. He called from their walk and said everyone has their lights on. I said you no longer shut the door than the lights came on. I raised the garage door for the reentry and started dinner. Jim walked in and said I assume we are back to plan A.
Plan A was great. It comes from Food Network Kitchens, Get Grilling. I grilled inside with my stove top grille as the outdoor was very drippy. It says four servings, but Jim ate it all.
1 large zucchini
1 ¼ # large sea scallops
¼ C roughly chopped fresh mint
¼ C sliced fresh chives
3 T freshly squeezed orange juice
2 T grape seed oil
1 T lemoncello
1t kosher salt
Pinch of cayenne pepper
2 large tomatoes
Freshly ground black pepper
This dish was not only delicious, but great to look at. For the skewers I used my curled skewers from Sur la Table. I could only get 2 to a skewer. I had really big scallops so I only used 6.

1. Prepare an outdoor (or indoor) grill with a medium high fire. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes. (I did it on my inside grille and did not have to soak them.)
2. For the scallops slice the zucchini lengthwise on a mandolin into thin slices, about ¼” thick. When you get to the seedy center, rotate the zucchini ½ turn and continue to shave slices until you hit seeds. I went all the way around the zucchini before stopping. You need the best of the strips to wrap around the scallops. If some did not fit all the way around I wrapped a second one to secure on the skewer. It all cooks up fine so do not worry. To most it would be a waste of zucchini, but Max loves zucchini, so I put the leftovers in a container after giving him some for a snack. Like I said, I had two per skewer. Salt and pepper each side and brush with grapeseed oil.
3. For the dressing I used my mini Cuisinart and put the mint, chives, orange juice, oil, lemoncello, salt and cayenne in the bowl. Turn on and blend.
4. Cut up the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper.
5. Brush scallops with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill turning to cook both sides until zucchini and scallops are cooked through, about 8 minutes total. Worked for me.
We also had grilled corn. It is summer, now is the time to eat corn if you like it.
Jim served a Robert Mondavi, Napa Valley, 2008 Fume Blanc. It went very well with the scallops. This would be an excellent dinner to serve to guests that like scallops. Very elegant, very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment