Saturday, July 31, 2010

Fresh Basil and Tomato Sauce

I have had a ton of basil from my garden this year. I made a lot of Pesto and have it in the freezer, so today I used it to make tomato sauce to freeze. I found the perfect recipe in Marcella Hazan’s The Classic Italian Cookbook.
Sauce will cover 1# spaghettini and will serve 4 (I doubled the recipe)as part of an Italian Meal
1 large bunch fresh basil
2 C canned Italian plum tomatoes, seeded, drained and coarsely chopped
5 large cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1/3 C EVOO
1t. salt
6 twists of the pepper mill
I put everything in the pan and after it came to a simmer, combined and chopped with my immersion blender. I let it simmer for 15 minutes. It is now cooling and my kitchen smells amazing. We are dining out tonight, so I am going to package for the freezer after it cools.

No comments:

Post a Comment