Thursday, March 15, 2012

Vegtable Lasagne


Even though this tasted very good and in WW standards is very low in calories, it was confusing to make.  I realized that the site has people turning in their recipes and they are just reprinted, not proofed or anything.  It stated 6 servings; and the servings are huge.  It also did not satisfy my desire for lasagna.  I would equate it more like a meatloaf with lots of veggies.  I am going to step by step going to go over what they said and what I did. 
Ingredients:
4 large zucchini
4 T EVOO (did not use)
Garlic salt to taste
1# mushrooms
1 yellow onion
5 garlic cloves
2 green peppers
1 ½# ground turkey breast ( I bought a boneless turkey breast and ground myself, just not trusting ground meat of any kind these days)
1# spinach, chopped
16 oz non-fat cottage cheese
5 egg whites
16 oz tomato sauce
4 T EVOO (never saw a place to add)
4 T grated parmesan cheese
Directions:
1.      Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and preheat a grill or grill pan. 
2.      Wash zucchini and remove both ends.  Cut zucchini into thin, diagonal slices.  Brush both sides with EVOO and sprinkle with garlic salt.  Grill the slices for 2-3 minutes per side until grill marks appear and moisture is reduced.  (When I finished slicing the zucchini, I realized that I would be here all night grilling zucchini.  The purpose seemed to be to dry out the slices, so I put them in the oven on sheets line with parchment.  I sprayed the parchment and the slices with Pam, thus eliminating the first EVOO.  I suppose I could have brushed them with the EVOO.  As far as I could tell that layered in the lasagna, no one was going to see any grille marks.)
3.      Blend the mushrooms, onion, garlic, and bell peppers in a food processor until finely chopped and spoon the mixture into a large bowl.  (Do this individually unless you have a gigantic food processor)
4.      Add the turkey, spinach, cottage cheese and egg whites, and stir until well combined. 
5.      Cover the bottom of a 9 X 13 baking dish with half the zucchini slices.  Spray the pan with Pam first.   
6.      Layer half the mixture on top of slices.  Repeat these steps. 
7.      Pour the tomato sauce evenly over the layered mixture.
8.      Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese. 
9.      Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour.  (I thought this was weird, but did it.  Not bubbly enough for me.  I put it back in for 30 more minutes at 350 degrees.  I also baked on a rimmed sheet pan as I did not want it all over the oven.)
10.  Let cool slightly and slice and serve.  There is a lot of moisture left in the pan.  This is juice from the vegetables. 
Like I  said it was very good, but more like meatloaf than lasagna. 

1 comment:

  1. It's just not lasagna without the noodles, though, oddly, zucchini is a veggie I like.

    Try Spark Recipes (http://www.sparkrecipes.com/) also. It a free site for weight loss and other goals (I joined back in 2007 and have been successful with their tools). They have a chef (Chef Meg) who contributes recipes and who also modifies some existing recipes.

    ReplyDelete