Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Traditional Wontons


Yesterday I made the fish version of wonton soup and Jim said this would be great with regular wontons in it.  I only used 20 wrappers and the following recipe called for 36.  So, I made the filling today and used up the rest of my wrappers.  This recipe comes from my favorite cookbook called The Key to Chinese Cooking by Irene Kuo.  The last time I made wontons we were living in CA.  Proof that I have made the same thing twice.     
Ingredients:
½# pork, I ground it in the food processor
1 ½ T light soy sauce
1/8 t sugar
1 T dry sherry
Sprinkling of black pepper
1 t minced peeled ginger
1 t finely chopped scallions (I used one, and did not measure)
1T cornstarch dissolved in 4 T water
2 t sesame oil
36 wonton wrappers
Directions:
1.      Place all the above ingredients in your food processor and process until all is finely chopped and blended.
2.      Place all wrappers out on a counter and divide the mixture between. 
3.      Follow the wrapping directions in the preceding soup recipe and place on a parchment lined tray. 
4.      If not using immediately, place the tray in the freezer and freeze solid.  After they are frozen you can place them in a plastic bag or container until you are ready to add them to soup.  Do not thaw.  Just add to the broth and bring it to a simmer and simmer until they are cooked.
I am going to be busy for the next few days, but will make batches of the broth from yesterday and freeze it also.  That way Jim can feed himself, once in a while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment