Sunday, March 4, 2012

Company Dinner, Stuffed Pork Chops, Potato Soup, Mustard Greens and Chocolate Mousse


Tonight we had a dinner party.  Jim’s cousins come over.  The menu came from everywhere. For appetizers, I had three cheeses; white stilton with apricots, mozzarella with prosciutto, goat cheese with onion jelly and eggplant spread, all served with crackers.  We have a pool table in this house.  We had the appetizers downstairs and Dave and Jim played pool.  Our first course was soup from Penzeys recent catalogue.  I read about it while riding into PT with Jim.  He loves potato soup.  Oh, and after peeling 4# of potatoes, I read to the end and realized it serves 10-15.  We have a lot left over, I plan to freeze some for future lunches.  This is a creamy and delicious soup.  Aside from the peeling of the potatoes, it is an incredibly easy recipe to make.
Slow Cooker Potato Soup
Ingredients:
4# red potatoes, chopped into chunks and peeled
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ t salt
½ t ground pepper
1 T chicken soup base
8 C water
16 oz. cream cheese
Served with:  
Crumbled bacon
Shredded Colby Jack cheese (I used blue cheese, because it is more in my taste realm.) 
Chopped green onions or chives 
Directions:
1.      Placed the chopped potatoes, garlic, salt, pepper and soup base into the slow cooker. (I put the water in the slow cooker first so the potatoes would not turn while peeling all 4#.) 
2.      Place the lid on the cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or on low, for 8.
3.      About ½ hour before the soup is finished, slice the cream cheese into chunks.  Mix into soup.  Replace the lid and cook for 20 minutes.
4.      I then used my immersion blender and combined the ingredients into a very fine puree. 
5.      Serve with the condiments. 
This soup was divine.   I am going to freeze the remaining for lunches.
Pork Chops with Butternut Squash & Apple Stuffing, Serves 4.  I had huge chops and stuffing with ½ C stuffing I have enough left over to stuff at least 3 more chops.  The gravy is the same way over what is needed, 1/4 the amount would do fine.   I cut this recipe out of a Williams Sonoma catalog.  The last three recipes I have used from WS have had the quantity really screwed up.    
Ingredients:
1 ½ C diced butternut squash (1/4”dice) (This was very time consuming)
1 C diced celery
1 C diced Granny smith apple (1/4”dice)
 6T EVOO
Salt and pepper
1 large shallot, finely diced
1 ½ t minced garlic
2 t chopped fresh thyme (I used dried 1/3 less)
1 ¼ C toasted bread crumbs (I used panko crumbs)
4 double-cut-bone-in pork loin chops, each about 12 oz and 1 ½ “thick
For the gravy:
1 yellow onion, cut into ½” dice
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and cut into ½” dice (actually I had a lot of apple left over from the dressing)
1T flour
2T chicken demi-glace
1 1/2 C water
3 t chicken stock concentrate
1 T apple cider vinegar
Direction:
1.      Preheat the oven to 400 degrees if baking immediately.  (I made all earlier in the day and turned on the oven when the guests arrived.)
2.      In a large bowl, stir together butternut squash, celery, apple and 2T oil, salt and pepper.  Set aside.
3.      In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm 2 T EVOO.  Add shallot; cook, stirring until softened, about 1 minute.  Add garlic and thyme; cook, stirring frequently, about 10 seconds.  Add squash mixture; cook, until just softened, about 7 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.
4.      Let cool and stir in bread crumbs.
5.      Season the pork chops with salt and pepper.  Insert sharp knife into side of chop opposite from bone, making long slit along curve all the way to the bone.  Wiggle knife to form large pocket.  Pack ½ C stuffing into each chop.  (I did this earlier in the day and refrigerated them.  Remove about ½ hour before cooking to return to room temperature.) 
6.      Brown chops on a grille pan about 4 minutes per side.  Do this in 2 batches to give the chops plenty of room.  Return all chops to the pan and roast in the oven until an instant-read thermometer inserted into stuffing registers 160 degrees, about 20 minutes.   
7.      Tent with foil.  Strain pan juices into small bowl. (I had no pan juice.) 
8.      In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, warm 1T oil.  Add onion and apple; cook, stirring until softened 7-8 minutes.  Add demi-glace, water, stock concentrate and reserved juices; bring to a simmer.  Cook until sauce thickens, 2-3 minutes.  Stir in vinegar.  Using immersion blender, puree sauce until smooth. (I did everything but the reserved pan juice earlier in the day and kept warm until serving time.)
9.      Plate pork chops and drizzle with sauce.  Serve immediately.    
To accompany the pork chops I chose mustard greens.  I bought them chopped and cleaned in a bag.   They are considered quick cooking greens this way.  This recipe come from my new cookbook called The New Southern Garden Cookbook by Sheri Castle.  It is an interesting cookbook as everything is according to the product.  This was called Mediterranean Skillet Greens and it serves 6.  I made half a recipe and I’d say that half, would serve 6.  I am not sure that my truly southern company appreciated greens cooked this way.  They are used to greens cooked to death in a lot of bacon grease.  I found them interesting but they would have been better if as they wilt to add water and steam them for a while. 
Ingredients:
½ C golden raisins
½ C EVOO
12 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
½ C pine nuts
2 ½ # quick-cooking greens, though stems removed and leaves thinly sliced (I used mustard greens, but spinach, chard, baby collards, kale or broccoli raab would work.)
2 T sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
1.      Place raisins in a small bowl and cover with hot tap water.  Set aside until the raisins plump, at least 15 minutes.  Drain well.  (I did this earlier in the day and had these,  the garlic and pine nuts waiting in small cups next to the skillet.)
2.      Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the garlic and pine nuts and cook, stirring often, until the nuts are golden brown, 5 minutes.  Add the greens in large handfuls, stirring until they wilt before adding more.  Continue to cook, tossing the greens with tongs until they are tender, but do not let them get slick.  If the greens get dry before they get tender, add a splash of water.  (I would add water and stem a little with a lid on.) 
3.      Add raisins.  Pour the vinegar over the greens and season with salt and pepper.  Serve warm or at room temperature. 
I am going to try this again with other greens. 
Finally dessert!  This is an Alton Brown recipe that I saw on his chocolate special on TV.  It has cost me a fortune in equipment and did not work.  First I ordered from WS an ISI mini easy whip.  I did it online and accidently ordered two.  My sister-in-law is the recipient of this mistake.  It said not to use with desserts and Alton’s recipe says it much be a 1 liter whipper.  So I went back on line and found the 1-liter an ISI gourmet whipper on Amazon for less than WS.  I ordered it.  I received a .5 liter whipper.  I wrote Amazon and was told that a 1-liter does not exist.  I looked in the directions and it clearly states in ISI literature that it does.  But in the meantime, people who tried his recipe said that you only need a .5 liter whipper.  But these same people state that his recipe is watery and tasteless.  So following their lead, I change the cocoa content to 75% from 54%, I add a touch of salt and ¼ t of vanilla.  I also do not follow his melting instructions, but melted all ingredients in the microwave and whisked.  I tried to cool to 60 degrees per his instructions, but at 75 degrees mine was a solid lump.  So I microwaved it again and filled the wiper.  I had Jim shake 16-20 times and with the wiper in perfect position, proceeded to squirt out a serving of chocolate mousse.  One serving is all I got.  So we divided it among the 4 of us.  It did taste excellent, but most of the mousse was still in the whipper.  I am going to try it again.  With all this expensive whipping equipment in my possession, I am determined to make this work. 
Ingredients:
8 oz 54% bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (reader recommended 75%)  
4 oz brewed coffee at room temperature
4 oz water
1 ½ oz sugar (I used Splenda.  Do not weigh or you will end up with too much.  1 ½ oz sugar is just shy of ¼ C.  So I measured that amount of Splenda.
Special equipment: .5 liter ISI cream whipper and 1 N2O (nitrous-Oxide)charger
Directions:
1.      Create an ice bath by filling a large bowl with ice and water.
2.      Add enough water to a 10” straight-sided sauté pan to come up the side 1”.  Bring to a simmer over medium heat. 
3.      Combine the chocolate, coffee, water and sugar in a medium bowl and set in the simmering water.  Stir occasionally until the chocolate is almost completely melted and sugar is dissolved, 4-5 minutes. 
4.      Remove from heat and set the bowl in the ice bath.  Whisk until the mixture reaches 60 degrees and is the consistency of heavy cream, 2-3 minutes. 
5.      Pour into the cream whipper.  Do not fill above the maximum fill line.
6.      Charge the cream whipper with 1 charger.  Shake vertically 16-20 times.  Set aside for 1 minute.  Invert and dispense into small bowls or martini glasses.  Serve immediately. 
So you know what I am doing today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment