Saturday, March 24, 2012

Crispy "Loaded" Pizza


Today was a busy day.  I have been working on finding lost alumni for my high school and creating a data base.  The hope is to have a 50 year class reunion in 2014.  I found a long lost dear friend that I have not been able to find for years.  It was a long shot at best as I could not remember her married name.  She had been on ancestors. com and when I goggled her maiden name, up came the name of her husband and from there I got an address and phone number from a paid site.  As we talked, she kept saying that she was in shock.  Everyone I have reached by phone has been delightful to talk to.  I am hoping to send out a mailing on Monday.  That will tell me if the “known” are still known.  From the mailing I hope to obtain volunteers that will help with the real planning.  In the middle I paid bills, made cookies and tonight’s dinner.  Dinner was inspired by my Rocco Dispirito cookbook.  I say inspired as I did not make the crust and adjusted amounts.  I love making pizza dough, but not in this house.  It serves 6 and lightens the calories of regular pizza.
Ingredients:
Pizza dough (I bought whole wheat from Trader Jo)
¾ C low-fat store-bought marinara sauce ( I had left over Vodka sauce)
½ c torn fresh basil leaves
4 oz. cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced (I used 8oz)
8 oz low-fat turkey sausage (I used 12 oz if Aidells, Italian turkey sausage.  I chopped it in the food processor)
6 whole bottled peperoncini, stems removed and cut into ¼” slices
1 ½ C reduced fat mozzarella (I will cook to reduce calories, but for the most part I do not believe in low fat products.  They either up the sugar add chemicals.  I used 2 C regular mozzeralla cheese)
2 T grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
(Added 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped)
Directions:
1.      Turn the dough out on a lightly flowered surface and roll to desired shape.   I have a large pizza pan with holes in the bottom so I rolled to this shape.  If using a pan, spray the pan with Pam.  He suggests placing the dough right on the stone. I’ve done this in the past and have made a mess.  If I do it again, I will lose the dish boy.    
2.      Place a pizza stone in the oven and warm to 500 degrees.  At the 500 degrees, warm the stone for 20 minutes. 
3.      Place the rolled out pizza dough in the oven for 3 minutes. 
4.      Take it out and cover the dough with the marinara sauce.
5.      Next scatter the basil leaves.  Toss the mushrooms, sausage, pepper, and peperoncini on top.  Spread the mozzarella and then sprinkle the Parmigiano.
6.      Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.  There is not enough cheese to brown, but just make sure all is melted. 
This was very good pizza.  It had some heat and was very good.  I had a piece and was filled.  Jim ate 4 pieces.  He really liked it.      

No comments:

Post a Comment