Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pan Seared Scallops, Harvest Grains and Bok Choy


We had a long day.  We both started that more fun than being stabbed, the dental appointment.  Next we met a real estate agent to look at two homes on the river.  They were both 60’s houses.  One had a renovation that was really my style, but there were some parts, however, that had a, I’m an armature trying to save money, look.  We would probably have to pay top dollar, and there is still things I would want to do.  But the location was fabulous.  I am not going to give up on it.  The other was in great condition for someone else.  The layout did not work at all for me.  Then we went to Costco, on to a solar exhibit that Jim wanted to see, and finally to pick up a faucet I had ordered.  We got a call from the stone guy, who had been into the builder’s office.  Apparently the Troll showed him some stone that I had left there a long time ago with the understanding they would toss it, he was confused.  Then we get an email saying that she was unable to find a “glass” tornado safe room door.  My heart would never survive these idiots.  One can only wonder which set of plans she may be passing out.  So let’s assume we get an estimate, what is it on?
Dinner had to be simple as we were home late.  I wanted to do scallops. I used a recipe from Cook's Illustrated and they were fabulous.  It serves 4.
Ingredients:
1 ½ # large sea scallops, tendons removed (I just used 1# for the two of us)
Salt and pepper
2 T vegetable oil
2 T butter
Directions:
1.      Place scallops on rimmed baking sheet lined with clean kitchen towel.  Place second clean kitchen towel on top of scallops and press gently on towel to blot liquid.  Let scallops sit at room temperature 10 minutes while towels absorb moisture.
2.      Sprinkle scallops on both sides with salt and pepper.  I did not use the salt.  Heat 1T oil in 12” skillet over high heat until just smoking.  Add half the scallops in single layer, flat side down, and cook, without moving until well browned, 1 ½ to 2 minutes.
3.      Add 1 T butter to the skillet.  Using tongs flip the scallops and continue to cook.  Baste the scallops with the pan butter.  Cook for an additional 30 - 90 seconds.  Do not overcook or they well be rubber.
4.       If you are doing the whole recipe, tent the hooked scallops, wipe out the skillet and repeat above. 
We buy frozen scallops from Costco and these were sweet and perfect. 
The last time we were at Trader Joe’s, I picked up a package called Harvest Grains Blend.  I cooked them in chicken broth with a little added butter per the directions, and added artichoke hearts to the finished product.  Fabulous, if you have a Trader Joe’s near you run to buy this product. 
Finally, I picked up bok choy today.  I did not want it to be oily like the Chinese cookbook seems to make it turn out.  I sprayed my wok with Pam.  Stir fried the washed leaves and then added a little chicken broth to finish it off.  It is the perfect answer for the way I like it.       

     

No comments:

Post a Comment