Monday, March 5, 2012

Soup and Sandwich Dinner


Sometimes I just feel like soup and a sandwich for dinner.  Tonight was one of those nights.  The soup was from a Dr. Oz show.  It was called Cancer-Fighting Spicy Pumpkin Soup.  He does not give a quantity to feed, but it is about 6 bowls.
Ingredients:
4 shallots, minced
2 t unsalted butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 T curry spice
2 t kosher salt
1 t chili sauce, use the Chinese sriracha hot sauce
2 (15 oz.) cans pumpkin
3 ½ C water
2 C reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 can unsweetened coconut milk (not low-fat)
Directions:
1.      Sauté shallots in butter until they are softened.
2.      Add garlic cloves, ginger, and curry spice.
3.      Stir in kosher salt, water, pumpkin, broth and coconut milk. 
4.      Simmer uncovered over low heat for 30 minutes.
For our sandwich I have Martha’s Favorite Tuna Salad Sandwich.  I had cut this out of the TN newspaper.  Once I started to make it, I realized that I have made it before.  I had my tuna in a low calorie wrap.  Jim had his on Jewish rye.  It makes 4 sandwiches
Ingredients:
12 oz good-quality tuna packed in oil, drained (I never use Tuna packed in oil)
2 celery stalks, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
1 apple, Gala, peeled, cored, and cut into ¼” dice (I did not peel mine)
3 T light mayonnaise (I used non-fat)
2 T freshly chopped basil leaves
1 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
Salt and pepper
8 slices of sourdough bread
Directions:
1.      In a medium bowl, combine tuna, celery, apple, mayonnaise, basil and lemon juice.
2.      Mix well and season with salt and pepper. 
3.      Divide the tuna between 4 slices of bread; top with the remaining 4 slices. 

And Hpppy 59th birthday to my little brother!

No comments:

Post a Comment