Friday, July 8, 2011

Turkey Meat Loaf with Walnuts and Sage

In flipping through the Flat belly Diet Cookbook last night, I found meatloaf. I am a sucker for meatloaf. This sounded very interesting as it was to rain a lot today, I decided to make it. With it I served mashed potatoes from a package, called Idahoan. We used the buttery Home-style and they were delicious. We bought a box of various flavors from Costco, but I have seen them in individual packages in the regular grocery store. I recently ordered a box of 10 flavored EVOO’s from Sciabica’s, my favorite EVOO in CA. Tonight I used the garlic EVOO to stir fry the spinach. It was delicious. It was better than my old method of adding garlic to the EVOO. The main course was the turkey meatloaf that served 4, 375 calories per serving.
Ingredients:
2 t EVOO
1 large carrot, grated
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
½ C walnuts
2 slices whole wheat bread
¼ C fat-free milk
2 egg whites
1 # extra-lean ground turkey breast
¼ C chopped fresh parsley
¼ C grated Parmesan cheese
1 t dried sage
½ t salt
½ t ground pepper
Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with non-stick foil and spray lightly with Pam.
2. Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the carrot, scallions, and garlic and cook, stirring often, for about 3 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat. (I used my small Cuisinart to chop all the veggies, and before doing that I ground the bread and walnuts together as in the next step.)
3. Meanwhile, chop the walnuts, in a food processor witted with a metal blade. Break up the bread and add to the walnuts. Pulse until both are ground to fine crumbs. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the turkey, parsley, cheese, sage, salt, pepper, and sautéed mixture. Mix gently just until blended.
4. Shape into a free-form loaf about 7” x 4-5” on the prepared baking sheet. Bake 50-60 minutes until a thermometer inserted in the thickest portion registers 165 degrees. Let stand a few minutes before slicing.
This is a very filling meatloaf. I think the grated carrots gave it a sweet flavor. I thought it was a little salty, Jim added salt. What can I say!

No comments:

Post a Comment