Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sunday Breakfast with Grits

I put together a perfectly executed breakfast this morning.  It all started in the grocery store where I saw in the frozen food section spicy TN sausage.  There used to be a sausage company in town, but it burned and they have not reopened.  We would load up on their sausage each time we came.  Anyway we decided to try it.  Then I decided we needed grits to go with it.  My grits come from Anson Mills in South Carolina.  They are the best.  If you want to order grits or polenta or other grain items go to AnsonMills.com.  The grits have to be soaked overnight and then require 50 to 90 minutes to cook.  I am going to find a small slow cooker so I can eliminate hanging out by the stove that whole time.  Using my new non-stick Calphalon skillet, I started the sausage on low after the grits were about 1/3rd done.  When the sausage was done, I dumped the grease and started the mushrooms.   When the grits were finished, I added the eggs to the mushrooms that were fully cooked and made the scrambled eggs mixed with mushrooms and Parmesan cheese.  I use 5 eggs for the 2 of us and a whole carton of sliced button mushrooms.  I add a little heavy cream at the end to make them creamy.  We liked the sausage and will buy it again.  I also sliced a tomato fresh from the farmer’s market.       

No comments:

Post a Comment