Saturday, July 16, 2011

Best Ribs ever & new version of Chocolate Cherry Cake

I wimped out yesterday and Jim ordered a pizza. Today, I am experimenting, something I rarely do. I am making a blond version of the chocolate cherry cake.
Ingredients:
1 box white cake mix
1 - 16 oz bag of frozen Bing cherries
1 jar of coconut rum pineapple jam from the Bathtub Gin Company
1 – 12 oz bag of chocolate chips
3 large eggs
Directions:
1. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl, adding the chocolate chips last. Make sure all is incorporated.
2. Spray the pan you choose to use, very well. I am using a Bundt pan.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes. At least that is what it took in my oven.
We thought it was good. It is lighter than the chocolate version. Not as overwhelmingly sweet.
Babyback Rib Delight
Ingredients:
1 or 2 Alder grilling planks
1 slab of baby ribs
1 can of coke, beer or coffee
Dry rub of your choice, I used the remaining rub from Wegmans
Barbeque sauce of your choice
Directions:
1. Marinade the slab of ribs in the coke, beer or coffee for 8 hours. I used coke.
2. Soak the boards in water the same length of time.
3. Start the grill and place the plank or planks on the grill to heat for 5 minutes.
4. Place the ribs on the plank and leave at medium high for 10-15 minutes, then turn the heat to medium low for an hour.
5. Brush them with your barbecue sauce and leave for a further 10 minutes.
These were the best ribs we have ever cooked. You could taste the wood. The rub gave it a punch and the sauce added sweetness. They were super moist and juicy.
The rest of the meal was simple. I cooked green beans from the farmer’s market in boiling salted water for 10 minutes. They were delicious, did not need salt at all. I had been eying cheese bread at the store and I warmed it up. It was OK. Not as good as the cheese bread in Pleasanton, CA.
Jim served a Pennywise Petite Sirah from Napa, California, 2008. It went very well with the ribs.

No comments:

Post a Comment