Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Grilled pizza---NOT

I stopped reading the Washington Post and mostly missed the Wednesday recipes. Finely today we had three good recipes. The one I made tonight was grilled pizza, but Jim refused to gill the pizza. If anyone who reads my blog has cooked pizza dough on the grill, would they please post their results? Anyway the pizza sounded good, so I made it inside.
Ingredients:
1 medium sweet potato
2 sweet or spicy Italian chicken sausages, each cut diagonally into 8 slices. (They did not give a weight, so I used a package of Adele chicken and apple sausages.)
20 oz ball of pizza dough. (I bought whole wheat dough at Trader Joes.)
2T EVOO
16 oz ball fresh mozzarella, sliced
Salt and ground pepper
1T fresh thyme. (I used 1t dried and will tell you how I put it on the pizza.)
Directions:
1. Instead of boiling the peeled sweet potato in slices, I put it in the microwave and cooked, cooled, peeled and then cut in 1/8” slices.
2. Next, since Jim would not grill, I cut the sausages in 1/8ths and put them on the stove with water in a skillet. I cooked until the water evaporated and the sausage was browned.
3. Heat the oven to 475 degrees with a pizza stone on the middle rack. I have a pizza pan that has holes in the bottom. I rolled out the dough to fit the pan. Spray the pan and then after putting the dough on to fit, brush on EVOO. On top of the dough, I sprinkled 1t dried thyme, salt and pepper. Next the sweet potato slices, sausage and sliced mozzarella.
4. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
Jim really liked this pizza. Neither of us are a fan of lots of tomato sauce and this had none. I really want to do the crust on the grill. Not the recipe or the grilling book could convince him. So anyone who has done it, please write.

No comments:

Post a Comment