Sunday, June 27, 2010

A Smarter Caesar Salad

We were out to dinner on Friday and I made burgers on Saturday, so tonight we had salad. Salad was perfect for a 99 degree day. That is 99 in the shade. I got this salad from Easy Lving magazine. It is a rather loose recipe. They don’t give how much so I will just list the ingredients and you can judge how much.  I can't tell you how much as I just looked at it and added what I thought we could eat. 
Ingredients:
Romaine hearts, washed and chopped
Sardines, in water
Hard-boiled eggs
Parmesan croutons
EVOO, mustard and lemon juice for the dressing
I bought sardines in water and was surprised as to how few were in the can. I buy sardines in oil for Max all the time and this was about half the amount per can. So if you are serving 2, I’d buy 2 cans. I washed and chopped the lettuce. Squeezed ½ a lemon and squeezed in some Dijon mustard. To this I whisked in EVOO to emulsify. I added the store bought croutons to the salad and dressing and divided between two plates. Place the sardines and one hardboiled egg cut in half decoratively on top. I really like this. Jim said he did, but with the voice of “if I don’t agree, she may stop cooking.” He served a Stellina di Notte, pinot Grigio. It worked.
In the summer I watch all the reruns of the cooking shows. I always use freshly ground pepper. Tonight on Good Eats, Elton Brown said that pre ground pepper has Cole dust and wood something to stretch it. Ick! Jim and I are going to read the ingredients on the can the next visit to the grocery store.
Also I am not sure if I ever imparted my way to make perfect hard boiled eggs, doesn’t matter how many. Cover the eggs with cold water and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and cover the pan for 15 minutes. Immediately dump the water and fill the pan with cold water and lots of ice. Crack all around the shell in the cold water and peel. No green between the yolk and white ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment