Sunday, June 6, 2010

Sunday Brunch

Last night we went out to dinner with friends at a new restaurant in Manassas, VA called Gunnis. It is a family owned business. My meal was very good. They do not rush you and had a live singer who was good. Lovely evening.
This morning I made Eggs Benedict on Savory Waffles. The recipe is from a Williams Sonoma catalogue.  This dish was so good. I think it would make a wonderful addition to a brunch. It serves 8. For a brunch I would add sweet muffins and fruit.
2C all-purpose flour
1 ½ t salt
1 ½ t baking powder
2T sugar
2 eggs
4 T unsalted butter, melted
2 C milk
1 C shredded Gruyere cheese
½ C mashed peeled boiled potato (I used a ½ #baking potato that I microwaved and mashed the insides) 3 T chopped fresh chives
Freshly ground pepper
8 slices of ham, I used Canadian bacon
8 poached eggs
1 C hollandaise sauce (I used McCormick ready to make dried mix)
Chopped green onions for garnish
Preheat the waffle maker. Mine makes deep Belgian waffles, 2 squares per fill. I got exactly 8 square waffles. Jim ate 3 and I had one. I froze 4 for another time. Before starting the waffles, I cut the Canadian bacon in 8 slices, warmed and placed in my warming drawer. I then mixed up the hollandaise sauce and kept warm on the stove. I put on a skillet of water with some white vinegar on the stove for the poached eggs , the flame on medium. Cook the potato.
For the waffles:
In a bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, butter, and milk. Combine and whisk together. Fold in the cheese, mashed potato, chives and pepper. I cooked all the waffles and as they finished held them in the warming drawer.
Next I poached 3 eggs in the skillet of water. Place a waffle on the plate and top with the Canadian bacon, egg and hollandaise sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment