Sunday, June 6, 2010

Sunday dinner witth Jacques Pepin

Before Food TV there was PBS that brought you cooking shows. I have been watching Jacque and Julia for years. Jacque has been doing fast food my way for at least 2 years now. I was watching his show on Friday while Jim was at Costco, so I had him buy scallops. This comes from More Fast Food My Way. The menu is as follows:
Asparagus Fans with Mustard Sauce
Scallops Grenobloise
Potatoes Gratin with Cream
Jam tartines with Fruits sherbet
I did not exactly follow directions.
1. First I prepared the potatoes. Coat a 4 C gratin dish with 1t butter. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. I cut 1# red-skinned potatoes in ¼” slices. Arrange in a gratin dish. Sprinkle ¼ t grated nutmeg, ½ t salt and pepper. Pour on 1 C heavy cream and sprinkle with ¼ C grated Parmesan cheese. Bake for 20 min.
2. Since I had tons of green beans I used these instead of asparagus. I microwaved 3/4 # of green beans. Before this I boiled 1 egg, pealed and chopped. Mix the egg in a small bowl with ¼ C mayonnaises, 1T mustard, ½ T red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and 1T water. Pour over the beans when done. I cooked the beans in the microwave.
3. Finely the scallops. The first thing you need to do is cut 2 slices of bread in 1/2” pieces. To these you add 1T of canola oil and bake in a 350 degree over for 6-8 minutes.
4. Peel the lemon and cut in-between the membrane to remove totally clean segments of lemon. Cut into ½” pieces until you have about 2T diced lemon flesh.
5. Mix 1# scallops with salt and pepper, add 1 1/2T canola oil. Heat a non stick pan over high heat. Add the scallops and cook for 2 minutes. Turn and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove to a serving platter and sprinkle with lemon, bread cubes and 2T capers.
6. Heat 6T butter in a pan and add 1/4C diced white mushrooms. Cook about 4 minutes until the butter is brown. Add 1 T red wine vinegar. Spoon the butter sauce over the scallops and sprinkle with 2T parsley.
I served all that I have described. We will have pomegranate blueberry sorbet with blueberries later. This meal tasted very French. The scallops were delicious. What can you say about 1# of potatoes with 1C of cream? The sauce really added to the green beans. I’ve fixed scallops in better methods.

No comments:

Post a Comment