Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Melon Salad

I am getting bad. I don’t feel like cooking as it is so hot here. I learned last weekend that this is the hottest June on record. It has been miserable. So I send Jim out in the heat to grille something and I made a salad. We bought a pre-marinated chicken breasts yesterday at Wegman’s. It was called rosemary balsamic and it was very good. I made half of the following Melon Salad to go with it. I got the recipe from the Washington Post. They say it is adapted from “Recipes from an Italian Summer.”
Ingredients:
2/3 C plain nonfat yogurt
Freshly squeezed juice of ½ lemon (1T)
2T EVOO
Salt
1 melon, such as cantaloupe or honeydew cut in half and seeded. I used cantaloupe
4 medium tomatoes cut into 1” pieces
1 head green or red-leaf lettuce (I used spring greens)
1C frozen defrosted corn kernels
Steps:
• Combine the yogurt, lemon juice, oil and salt to taste in a small bowl, mix well.
• Use a melon baler to scoop out round balls on melon; place the balls in a large salad bowl and add the tomatoes, lettuce, and corn. Add the yogurt dressing and toss gently to combine.
• Serve immediately
Jim served Pascal Jolivet Sancerre, 2008. It was very good and the dressing on the salad did not interfere with the taste of the wine. We had ice cream for dessert. It was Wegman’s cherry brownie mix. It was really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment