Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Cranberry Oat Cereal Bars

I think I mentioned that we have a new farmer’s market setting up in Lebanon. It is the kind we had in Wayne, PA with more than vegetables which is all they have now. According to Max, the dog cookie vendor is wonderful. We bought some Mac n Cheese from a vendor with prepared meals that we had tonight with the leftover beef from Sunday and salad. I will not buy from that vendor again. We could taste but not see the bacon and the jalapeño. I swear there was no cheese, just a béchamel type sauce in it, very disappointed. The pasta looked like Gnocchi without the lines. After dinner I made Cranberry Oat Cereal Bars for tomorrow morning. Our architect is coming at 9:00 AM. I’ve made these before, but I do not think I blogged them. It is like the rice crispy bars of old, but more healthy.
Ingredients:
Nonstick cooking spray
4T unsalted butter
1 bag (10 oz) marshmallows
½ t salt
6 C cheerios
1 C dried cranberries or any fruit you desire.
Directions:
1. Spray a 10 x 15 rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Line with waxed paper, spray paper with cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add marshmallows and salt, cook, stirring occasionally, until marshmallows have melted, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cereal and dried cranberries.
3. Immediately transfer mixture to prepared baking sheet. Using a spatula coated with cooking spray, press in quickly and firmly. Let cool, about 1 hour; cut into 24 bars (3 rows lengthwise and 8 rows, crosswise.) Store up to 2 days in an air tight container.

1 comment:

  1. I might have to try these -- with a different fruit. :)

    ReplyDelete