Friday, January 21, 2011

Orange Chicken Breasts with Baby Spinach

Michelle Obama would love this meal. It has fruit, veggies and low fat protein. It is also quick and easy. I made it on a school day so you know it is easy. I got this from the Washington Post. I marinated the chicken before I left for class. Serves 4
Vinaigrette (divided after making)
Ingredients:
Finely grated zest and freshly squeezed juice of 1 orange. You should have approximately ¼ C of juice and 2 t zest
¼ C white wine vinegar
1 T Dijon-style mustard
¼ t salt
¼ t crushed red pepper flakes
½ t sugar
Freshly ground black pepper
½ c EVOO
Directions:
1. Combine all except the EVOO in your blender. With the motor running, gradually add the oil to form and emulsified vinaigrette.
2. Add 1/3 C to a bag to marinate the chicken.
For the Chicken and Spinach
Ingredients:
1# chicken breast cutlets (If you have boneless chicken breasts, just cut them in half horizontally)
6 oz of baby spinach (Not nearly enough for 4. Jim and I thought it was skimpy for 2.)
2 medium oranges (Peel removed and sectioned.)
Directions:
1. In the morning I added 1/3 C of the vinaigrette to the chicken in a bag and placed it in the refrigerator. My chicken breasts were barely thawed. The recipe says i-4 hours. Mine was in longer.
2. Position the top oven rack 4-6” from the top broiler element. Preheat the broiler. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. I use the non-stick kind.
3. Remove the chicken from the marinade and toss the marinade. Arrange the cutlets on a foil lined baking sheet. Place under the broiler for 5 minutes each side.
4. I washed and drained the spinach and put in a microwaveable bowl. My microwave cuts fresh vegetables by weight. It was done quickly.
5. Arrange the spinach on each plate. Top each plate with a cutlet. Scatter over the orange segments and drizzle with 1 T vinaigrette.
This was delicious and only 200 calories per serving. I don’t think adding more spinach would raise the calorie count substantially. There will be plenty of vinaigrette, save for salads. It is very good. We had a Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc. It was great with the citrus.

No comments:

Post a Comment