Monday, January 24, 2011

Sunday Brunch, Green Eggs and Ham

Breakfast Sunday AM was more of a brunch. I made the ham loaf for this dish the day before. I did not bake it until the morning. I ground my own pork and I ground the ham at the same time. I am not trusting ground meat these days. This came from Better Homes and Gardens, March 2010.
Ingredients:
2 eggs
1/3C apple cider
2/3 C quick-cooking rolled oats
1/3 C chopped green onions
1T Dijon-style mustard
½ t Poultry seasoning
12oz. ground pork ( I used a small tenderloin)
12oz. ground cooked ham.
8 eggs (Recipe serves 8. (Each of my Jim’s wanted 2 eggs and I had one)
12 oz fresh baby spinach
Directions:
1. If not doing the day before, the oven for the loaf is to be set at 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, beat 2 eggs and cider with wire whisk to combine. Stir in oats, green onions, mustard, poultry seasoning, and ¼ t black pepper. Add pork and ham; mix well. Spray a 8x4x2 pan and lightly pat mixture in the loaf pan. Don’t obsess over the pan size, use what you have.
3. When ready to eat, bake for 1.25 hours. The loaf should read 160 F. Let stand 10 minutes. The recipe says spoon off fat, but I did not have any.
4. While the loaf was resting, I heated a skillet, added 1T EVOO and wilted the spinach. Meanwhile with EVOO, I cooked the eggs. I did not do over easy, but put a lid on the skillet
5. To serve put the spinach on the plate, top with a slice of ham loaf and top with the egg.
I’ve never had ham loaf. Jim2 said it was his brother’s favorite and that his mother made it for dinner. I felt it was a healthy breakfast. I loved the ham loaf. Toast up the muffins and it is a great brunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment