Saturday, January 15, 2011

What to do with Leftovers and Duck Bacon

Stephanie O’Dea of Crockpot fame had a recommendation for the leftover chicken from yesterday, Fried Rice. I love friend rice when it is done correctly. No the icky brown stuff in most Chinese restaurants is not done correctly. I decided to give her Crockpot Fried Rice a try.
Ingredients:
2 C leftover rice (do any of you really ever have 2 C of left over rice?)
3T butter
2 T soy sauce
2 t Worcestershire sauce
½ t black pepper
¼ t kosher salt
½ yellow onion, diced
1 C fresh or frozen vegetables ( I used peas)
1 C cooked meat, diced (I did not have enough chicken so I cooked up 2 leftover Italian sausages)
1 large egg, whisked
1 t sesame seeds for garnish (optional) I forgot all about them, and I have tons.
Directions:
1. She always starts out with what size Crockpot to use. I only have one and that is what I use. For this recipe she says to use a 4-qt. slow cooker.
2. Put all ingredients in and stir well.
3. Cook on high for 2 – 3 hours or low for 3-4 hours.
This is a great use up whatever is in the fridge recipe. It was crisp and not brown. The meat gave it great flavor. You could do the same in your stove top wok, but you’d be standing there and adding ingredients in a systematic order. I turned on the pot and read for 2 hours. The bell rang and I called Jim to dinner.

This morning we had an interesting accompaniment to our soft cooked eggs, uncured duck bacon. It was very good. Not as messy to cook as regular bacon and intensely flavorful. I also mixed blueberries and pomegranate seeds, very tasty.  The eggs were perfectly done and were like comfort food on my new elegant soft boiled egg servers that a friend brought me from Germany. 

No comments:

Post a Comment