Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Pork chops with Warm Cabbage Slaw

Unplanned, but created a dinner that Jim really liked. Jim had been at Costco last week and I asked him to buy boneless pork chops. I think they were on sale. I have lots of left over raw vegetables from the weekend meal. Do to packaging; you can never buy the exact amount, so sometimes I go on the hunt to find meals that fit my leftovers. I found this in Sunset magazine, December, 2010. I will add that this is the kind of meal that substitutes are acceptable.
Pork chops with Warm Cabbage Slaw, serves 4, 30 minutes.
Ingredients:
2T vegetable oil (I used EVOO)
4 bone-in pork chops (I used boneless)
1 t kosher salt, divided
2 T butter
4 C sliced red cabbage (I had leftover Napa cabbage)
½ C red bell pepper, thinly sliced (Jim hates red pepper and celery, I had celery and no red pepper, seemed equal to me)
½ C sliced red onion
1 green apple, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced (I never use green apples, I hate them. I used a Gala apple)
2 carrots, shredded (I used one carrot and the half of a parsnip left over)
2 t rice vinegar
2 t sugar
(Special Marion Seasoning, previously blogged about)
Directions:
1. Heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat. I seasoned my pork chops with the Marion’s Seasoning. Cook, turning until browned and registering about 140 on a meat thermometer. One was a little thicker and we microwaved it in the middle of cooking. The recipe says 5 minutes total. Ours were so thick they took about 20 minutes with a little microwaving of the really thick one. Actually I thought Jim got them a little overdone. Tent while you make the rest.
2. Melt the butter in the same pan. Cook all the remaining fruit and vegetables until softened, about 7 minutes. Mix in the vinegar, sugar and remaining ½ t salt and pepper. Serve with the pork chops.

I served this with our leftover rice from Friday. Jim went on and on about how good it was and I was surprised as it had cabbage in it. I loved the cabbage, but as I said I like my pork less done. Jim served an A to Z Oregon Pinot Noir. We agreed that a Gewurztraminer would also work with this meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment